Green Tea & Palmarosa Salt Scrub: an exfoliating body scrub infused with matcha green tea and a cool citrus scent.
Once upon a time salt scrubs ruled everything. From tiny boutiques to big box stores, the simple combination of salt, oil, and fragrance had customers going utterly gaga. Back when the salt scrub craze kicked off it didn’t take much imagination for a scrub to take off in popularity.
To be totally honest, it still doesn’t. The combination of fine grain salt, a moisturizing carrier oil, and an alluring scent is all it really takes to make a great scrub. But in order to get a great scrub to stand out in a crowd it might just need a little boost. Specialty additives, such as cosmetic clay, powdered herbs or botanicals, or natural exfoliants can be included to turn a simple scrub into something extra special.
We used green tea as our inspiration for our Green Tea & Palmarosa Salt Scrub. Camellia oil provides a light, moisturizing base for the liquid portion of the scrub. A blend of sweet and floral palmarosa and cool, bright peppermint are meant to invoke the memory of citrus and freshly steeped tea. French green clay and matcha powder give the scrub a rich green color and an added layer of exfoliation and interest.
You can easily customize our Green Tea & Palmarosa Salt Scrub recipe by swapping the clay for another colorful specimen. Our coral kaolin, for example, is great for making rich red or pink colored scrubs. Any light carrier oil will do nicely in this kind of recipe as well. Apricot oil is a favorite due to its reliability and affordability, but you can experiment with a nearly endless variety of non-comedogenic oils. Try replacing the matcha powder with one of our fruit powders or a powdered herb. Finally, swap the essential oil blend for one that compliments the other ingredients you’ve chosen. As you can see, the possibilities abound!
Green Tea & Palmarosa Salt Scrub
Makes one 8-ounce (240 ml) jar
- 3/4 cup (210 grams) small grain sea salt
- 3 ounces (90 ml) camellia oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) French green clay
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) matcha green tea powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) palmarosa essential oil
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.65 ml) peppermint essential oil
- Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl and stir well. Break up any lumps in the salt or powders.
- Blend camellia oil with essential oils in a small container, then add to dry ingredients. The texture of the scrub can be adjusted by adding all, or only a portion of the liquid phase to the dry.
- Mix ingredients well and transfer to jar (or use immediately).
Usage & Packaging
- We packaged our Green Tea & Palmarosa Salt Scrub in one of our crystal clear 8-ounce PET jars. High density plastic is a great choice for packaging scrubs as users may place them in slippery situations where glass could be dangerous.
- To use, simply massage the scrub onto moistened skin in a gentle, circular motion. This scrub works well on arms, legs, hands, feet, and torso, but would be too aggressive for facial care.
- A preservative should be added for commercial production. As always, we also recommend having all new formulations challenge tested prior to being produced for sale.
Shelf Life & Stability: Please note that the formulations featured here on The Natural Beauty Workshop have not been challenge tested for stability or shelf life, and may not be suitable for commercial use as-is. For more information on shelf life, stability, and working with preservatives, check out the following article from our Information Library.