Ready to take your DIY personal care to the next level? This recipe for handmade tooth powder is a great alternative to typical toothpastes. Just dip your moistened toothbrush in this mineral-based powder and scrub your chompers to a luminous pearly white. Try using different liquids, like plain water, Witch Hazel or peroxide to moisten your brush.
We used a base of Bentonite Clay, Baking Soda, and Coral Calcium Powder for our tooth powder’s foundation. You can experiment by adding dried powdered herbs like sage, mint, or cinnamon – each of which can boost and customize your formula’s benefit while adding flavor. Xylitol is an optional ingredient that provides sweetness to the tooth powder. If you prefer, this can be swapped out for stevia powder or monk fruit extract – but you may need to adjust the portion to taste.
We shared two variations of our Sweet Spearmint Tooth Powder. The addition of activated charcoal is intended to boost the powder’s whitening power. Activated charcoal is available in most health food stores in capsule form. To use the capsules, simply twist them open and tap the contents into a small bowl. Be warned – it is VERY messy stuff. You’ll need four or five capsules to get 1 teaspoon of activated charcoal.
Sweet Spearmint Tooth Powder
Makes one 2-ounce jar (about 40 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) Bentonite Clay
- 2 teaspoons (11 grams) Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) Coral Calcium Powder
- 1 – 2 teaspoons (4 – 8 grams) Xylitol, optional
- 1 teaspoon (<1 gram) Activated Charcoal, optional
- 5 – 10 drops Spearmint Essential Oil
- Combine Baking Soda and Essential Oil in small bowl and whisk together – breaking up any clumps.
- Add Bentonite Clay, Coral Calcium Powder, and Activated Charcoal (if using). Mix together with non-metal utensil.
- Transfer to jar.
Usage & Packaging
- We packaged our tooth powder in our 2 Ounce Flat Pet Jars. You could also try using our 2 Ounce Flint Jars. Any non-metal jar with a tight-fitting lid should do nicely.
- To use, dip your moistened toothbrush into the tooth powder, then brush as usual. Rinse well with water, and follow with mouthwash as needed.