Five Minute Magnesium Body Lotion: a three-ingredient mineral body cream.
Magnesium is a great mineral for supporting healthy sleep and overall wellness. While this mineral is present in many healthy foods – like spinach, almonds, and black beans, many of us don’t get quite enough in our daily menu. This beneficial mineral is easily absorbed by the skin, making it a wonderful addition to lotions, creams, body sprays, and bath products.
This super quick magnesium lotion recipe is so easy that it really does feel like cheating. We combined our moisturizing Shea Butter Body Cream Base with Magnesium Chloride Flakes to make a lotion that literally comes together in five minutes or less. Adding scent is entirely optional. We opted for a classic choice of lavender essential oil. Feel free to omit that ingredient or swap it out for anything you prefer.
Since the magnesium is an additional ingredient it can cause the mixture to separate after it sits for a while. Make sure to give your lotion a good shake before every use.
Five-Minute Magnesium Body Lotion
Makes about 8 ounces (240 ml)
- 8 ounces (240 ml) Aloe & Shea Body Lotion Base
- 2 tablespoons (24 g) Magnesium Chloride Flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) Lavender Essential Oil
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Let the mixture sit for about 3 minutes – just long enough for the flakes to dissolve in the moisture of the base.
- Mix one more time, then transfer to jars or bottles.
Usage & Packaging
- This lotion can be packaged in bottles or jars. Just make sure that whatever vessel you choose has a tight-sealing lid. We used our 4-ounce PET Boston Round Bottles.
- To use, give your lotion a good shake (in case of separation) then massage onto the skin. This lotion does leave a slightly salty slip, and is best suited for body care. (Think arms, legs, and feet.)