Tinted lip balms are one of the easiest mineral makeup recipes to master. By starting off with a reliable base and learning to blend custom colors using mineral-based colorants, you can formulate an endless variety of gorgeous sheer lip colors.
This recipe uses a blend of Clear Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, and Nilotica Shea Butter to create a creamy, semi-soft lip balm that glides easily onto the lips. Jojoba is an excellent lip-care ingredient due to its long shelf life and inherent stability. Castor Oil thickens the texture, providing a rich, slippery sheen to the mix. Nilotica Shea Butter provides a dose of nourishing moisture to this base, while Lecithin increases adhesion to the lips. Beeswax is used to harden the balm and bind the ingredients together.
When it comes to making lip color, my favorite ingredients are Pearlescent Micas. These colorful powders are made from mixing crushed mica powder with a variety of both natural and synthetic dyes and colorants. You can make lip tints with just one mica, or you can create your own original colors by blending multiple micas together. Just be sure to check on the safety of each mica before using it. Not all Pearlescent Micas are approved for use in lip care. You can use our handy Mica Safety Chart to quickly check on any mica you'd like to use.
To make the colors pictured above, I used the following micas, (from left to right):
- Rouge Flambe Mica
- Tangerine Mica and Pink Glimmer Mica
- Jeweltone Tan Opal Mica with Pink Glimmer Mica and Rouge Flambe Mica
Custom Lip Tints
- 2 parts White Filtered Beeswax Pellets
- 2 parts Organic Nilotica Shea Butter
- 1 part Clear Jojoba Oil
- 1 part Castor Oil
- 1-2% Lip-Safe Essential Oil, such as Peppermint (optional)
- 2% Liquid Lecithin
- 5-10% Pearlescent Mica
- Heat beeswax, shea butter, jojoba and castor oils in double boiler until fully melted.
- Remove from heat, let cool for a few moments, then add essential oil and micas.
- Pour melted tint into containers. Allow to cool until firm.
Makes four 1/2-ounce jars
- 2 tablespoons White Filtered Beeswax Pellets
- 2 tablespoons Organic Nilotica Shea Butter
- 1 tablespoon Clear Jojoba Oil
- 1 tablespoon Castor Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Lecithin
- 1/8 teaspoon Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1 teaspoon Pearlescent Mica
Usage & Packaging
We packaged our lip tints in our new 1/2 Ounce Paperboard Jars with Flush Fit Lids. Be sure to check out our other paperboard products here: 0.3 oz. Brown Paperboard Push-Up Tube with Cap | 1/2 oz. Brown Paperboard Jar with Flush Fit Lid | 4 oz. Brown Paperboard Jar with Flush Fit Lid
This post was brought to you by From Nature With Love, offering a huge selection of top quality natural ingredients and supplies for skin care, hair care, soap making, and more!
Save 7% on your qualifying online order with discount code: NBW0617!