Are you ready for something super cute? This adorable lip balm project uses a simple cut-out technique to add pretty shapes to a simple, moisturizing lip balm recipe. The same method can be used with almost any standard lip balm formula, so feel free to swap out ingredients, change the color, scent, and of course, the cutter shapes to make this project your own.
Your choice of cutter is the easiest way to customize this recipe - and the possibilities are pretty exciting. I used mini flower cutters for this project, but how about using alphabet cutters to create monogrammed lip balms? Or holiday shapes to celebrate every season? I can think of so many fun ideas for this technique. You'll definitely be seeing it used on The Natural Beauty Workshop again!
I used a simple formulation for my lip balm base. Beeswax is my personal favorite wax for lip balms, and using our White Filtered Beeswax gives you plenty of versatility as far as color goes. Clear Jojoba is another classic ingredient for lip balms. Its long shelf life and moisturizing benefit makes it a win-win. I also included Cherry Kernel Oil since the project was inspired by my cherry blossom mini cutters.
Cherry Kernel Oil also has a great shelf-life and is rich in oleic acid, vitamin A, and tocopherols. It has a light texture that glides easily onto the skin, making it a great choice for not only lip balms but lotions, scrubs, and body butters as well.
We used our Cherry Plant-Based Fragrance Oil to scent these lip balms. This sweet fruity scent is perfect for lip care products and is made using plant-based ingredients like essential oils, extracts, and aromatic isolates. You can swap this ingredient out for another kind of aromatic ingredient, but be sure to adjust the ratio for that ingredient. The amount used in this recipe is specific to our Cherry Plant-Based Fragrance Oil. You may need more or less ingredient if you choose to use something else.
You might find that this recipe makes a little more lip balm than you need to fill your jars. To make sure there was enough to scrape off the tops I went a bit heavy on the ingredients. You can re-melt the excess and use it to create a plain pink lip balm in its own jar after you are finished with this project. If you decide to multiply this recipe you may end up being able to make several more lip balms than expected.
Two Tone Cherry Blossom Lip Balm
Makes four 15-ml jars
- 20 grams White Filtered Beeswax Pellets
- 20 grams Deodorized Cocoa Butter
- 15 grams Cherry Kernel Oil
- 15 grams Jojoba, Clear
- 0.5 grams (1/8 teaspoon) Lavender Glow Mica
- 1 grams (1/4 teaspoon) Red Heart Mica
- 0.5 grams (1/8 teaspoon) Cherry Plant-Based Fragrance Oil (optional)
- Combine beeswax, cocoa butter, cherry kernel oil,and jojoba in double boiler and heat until melted.
- Remove from heat and lavender glow mica and cherry fragrance.
- Place mini cutter in center of one empty jar. While pressing cutter down firmly, pour melted lip balm into the outer section of the jar. Hold the cutter in place for about 1 minute, or until the balm hardens enough for the jar to be moved. Repeat this step with the remaining jars, using a new cutter for each jar.
- Place the jar into the freezer and allow it to chill for about 5 minutes, or until the balm is completely hardened. (Don't leave them in too long or they may crack!) When balms are hard, remove from freezer and gently pull out cutters.
- Place double boiler back on heat and re-melt remaining lip balm. When melted, whisk in red heart mica.
- Fill the empty cavity in each jar with colored mica. Allow the balm to cool and harden completely, then carefully scrape away any excess red colored balm from the top of each jar.
Usage & Packaging
- We packaged these lip balms in our 15 ml Sifter Jars. These jars are nice and wide, but shallow enough to offer a reasonable portion of lip balm.
- To use, simply rub a small amount of balm onto your lips!
This post was brought to you by From Nature With Love, offering a huge selection of top quality natural ingredients and supplies for skin care, hair care, soap making, and more!
Save 7% on your qualifying online order with discount code: NBWB0318!