When the chilly weather reaches its zenith every year even the most braun among us may start to feel a sniffle coming on. Hot steamy showers can help take the edge off of winter sniffles – especially when they are infused with a potent combination of Menthol Crystals and Eucalyptus Essential Oil. These fizzing tablets will release a serious punch of mentholated aroma into the air when dropped at the bottom of a shower.
We used a pvc pipe mold to create these tablets, but you can also use any mold suitable for making bath bombs and fizzies. Muffin tins, tart pans, and candy molds are just a few examples of molds that you may find already in your kitchen. Just look for a mold that holds about two-ounces of liquid. That’s the perfect size for a shower melt.
Mentholated Eucalyptus Shower Melts
Makes about six 2-ounce tablets
- 1 cup of Baking Soda
- ½ cup of Citric Acid
- 1 ounce Apricot Kernel Oil
- ½ ounce Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon Organic Menthol Crystals
- Witch Hazel (if needed, for spritzing)
- Combine the Baking Soda and Citric Acid in a food processor and pulse until the powders have an even texture.
- Combine the Apricot Kernel Oil and 1 tablespoon of Menthol Crystals in a double boiler. Warm them over medium heat and stir until the crystals have dissolved.
- Remove the oil from heat and add the Essential Oil. Stir well.
- Place the powders into a large bowl. Using a gloved hand or a sturdy utensil, begin to mix the powder continuously as you slowly drizzle the oil mixture over it.
- Mix very well until the consistency of wet sand or snow. The bright white mixture might remind you of making snowballs!
- If the mixture seems dry or does not pack easily, try spritzing it 3 or 4 times with Witch Hazel as you continue to mix.
- Place a pinch of the remaining un-melted, 1 teaspoon of Menthol Crystals into the bottom of your mold.
- Take about 2 ounces (or 1/4 cup) of mixture and pour into your mold. Press the powder down firmly to pack it. When the mold is very firmly packed gently tip it over and tap out the tablet.
- Place your finished tablets on a tray or baking sheet lined with wax paper. Cover with a small towel and allow them to air-dry for about twenty-four hours.
Usage & Packaging
Once your Shower Melts are totally dry and hardened they should be wrapped tightly with cellophane or plastic wrap to preserve the potency of their fizziness and aroma. The wrapped Melts can be packaged in Small Cello Bags or Tin Tie Bags to make them more attractive. Try tying a sprig of dried eucalyptus to your package to make it extra special.
To use, simply drop one melt near the drain of your shower. The hot water will immediately begin to release a strong, mentholated aroma as the fizzy tablet melts away. One tablet should remain active for about ten minutes, but this timing will vary depending on the size and potency of the tablet, the heat of the shower, and other variables.
Please note that menthol and peppermint are not suitable for children under two, and eucalyptus is generally recommended for use at half strength with children. For kids or anyone having serious respiratory issues please consult your physician or aromatherapist before use. These tablets are very pungent!