Let's face it. Our feet can get a little on the icky side now and then. If they are getting a bit too aromatic for your liking, they might benefit from a lotion with some anti-funk benefits. Karanja Oil and Murumuru Butter contain natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that can help get your little piggies smelling sweeter. Moisturizing Cocoa Butter and soothing Tamanu Oil will help them feel better too! A touch of Peppermint Oil finishes this lotion off nicely, giving it a clean, refreshing tingle.
Karanja Peppermint Lotion
Makes about four ounces
- 15 grams Emulsifying Wax (or Organic Emulsifying Wax w 1 teaspoon Borax)
- 15 grams Cocoa Butter
- 15 grams Murumuru Butter
- 15 grams Karanja Oil
- 15 grams Tamanu Oil
- 60 grams Witch Hazel Hydrosol
- 1 gram Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1 gram Niaouli Essential Oil
- 1 gram Grapefruit Seed Extract
- Heat the Emulsifying Wax, Murumuru Butter and Cocoa Butter in a double boiler until they are fully melted.
- Add the Karanja and Tamanu Oil, then remove from the heat.
- In another container, whisk the Witch Hazel Hydrosol with the Borax. Warm these ingredients until they reach the same temperature as the melted oils/wax.
- Whisk the melted oils swiftly as you pour the Witch Hazel mixture into them in a slow, steady stream. Continue whisking the lotion as it cools. The lotion will thicken as it cools, but will not fully stabilize for at least five full minutes. Whisk continuously for up to ten minutes to ensure a stable emulsion.
- Once the lotion has cooled and thickened completely, whisk in the Peppermint Essential Oil (and Grapefruit Seed Extract if you are using it.)
Usage & Packaging
Handmade lotions and creams are fairly fragile due to the presence of water. One way to keep your homemade emulsions safe from spoilage is to handle them as little as possible. When your lotion is done, transfer it into a sterilized container right away. Pump bottles are great for homemade lotions since they minimize direct contact. If you are using a jar, try scooping the lotion out with a clean utensil instead of your fingers. Storing the lotion in the fridge between uses can also help keep it fresh.
This post was brought to you by From Nature With Love, offering a huge selection of top quality natural ingredients and supplies for skin care, hair care, soap making, and more!
Save 7% on your qualifying online order with discount code: NBW1216!