One of the first tasks we learn as children is to wash our hands before a meal. This simple lesson in hygeine is arguably the most important for our health, and the health of the people around us. We wash our hands before we eat, and before we cook, but not always before we handle raw fruits and veggies.
At the supermarket, produce is manhandled with gusto as shoppers poke and prod for the perfect specimin. Before that, grocery employees stack the bounty from boxes and bins, which have been trucked in from all over creation. Though the apple in your hand may look clean and shiny, it has been through a lot.
Washing your produce can help remove germs, microbes, and molds that have accumulated through storage and handling. It can also reduce residual pesticides, waxes, and fertilizers that may still be clinging to your fruits and veggies. Even organic or locally grown produce can benefit from a good scrub.
Tips for Washing Produce
- At the very least, all produce should be well rinsed in cold, clean water.
- Leafy greens and herbs should be submerged in a basin, allowing dirt and sand to drop from the leaves. Dry your greens on clean kitchen towels or paper towels after rinsing.
- Firm fruits and veggies, like apples or squash, should be rubbed vigorously during rinsing.
- Soft fruits, like berries, can be rinsed with diluted white or apple cider vinegar to help remove mold spores. Rinse with vinegar, then with cold water, and drain well.
Adding a Veggie Wash to your produce care routine can help make it a lot more effective. The following recipe is made with all natural ingredients, and can be stored in a Sprayer Bottle for easy use. We recommend making this recipe in small batches, and using it up quickly. For long term storage, keep the bottle in your refrigerator.
Grapefruit Castile Fruit & Veggie Wash
Makes 16 Ounces
- 16 ounces (473 ml) distilled water
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Organic Liquid Castile Soap
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) Grapefruit Seed Extract
You can purchase the ingredients for this recipe online at www.FromNatureWithLove.com.
Use discount code, NBWS4277 to save 7% off qualifying items in your online order!
- Combine ingredients in a beaker, and stir well.
- Transfer to Sprayer Bottle.
How to Use
- For leafy greens and herbs: Spritz with Fruit & Veggie Wash, then gently tousle with your hands to spread the soapy mixture through the leaves. Submerge the greens in a bowl or pot of clean, cold water. Stir gently, then remove to a colander. Drain and replace the bowl with fresh water, then rinse the greens again. Dry the greens in a clean colander, or on kitchen or paper towels.
- For firm fruits and vegetables: Spritz with Fruit & Veggie Wash, then rub into the fruit or vegetable's skin vigorously. Rinse well with cold, running water.
- For soft fruits and vegetables: Spritz with Fruit and Veggie Wash, then place in a mixing bowl. Add enough cold water to just cover the fruit. Gently stir the produce by hand, or by swishing the bowl around a little. Rinse well in a colander with cold, running water.
This post was brought to you by From Nature With Love, offering a huge selection of top quality natural ingredients and supplies for skin care, hair care, soap making, and more!
Save 7% on your qualifying online order with discount code: NBW1217!