Rose Frankincense Scar Balm: a nourishing moisturizer to support damaged skin
Some say that life is a grand adventure, and we would tend to agree. And along any adventure, you are sure to encounter your fair share of cuts, bumps, and bruises. Some of these injuries leave more lasting marks than others, and that makes it pretty hard to avoid carrying some scars. Since scars can cause emotional, aesthetic, and physical distress, it’s important to care for them as well as we can. Fresh scars can be particularly itchy and inflexible. Nourishing scarred skin with a supportive scar balm can help encourage flexibility, soothing, and in some cases, even healing for scarred tissue.
This simple scar balm is composed mainly of rose hip seed oil, olive squalene, and vitamin e. These ingredients were hand picked to support scarred skin with deep hydration, essential fatty acids, and rich vitamin content. We used organic beeswax to thicken the formulation, but a plant-based wax such as candelilla or carnage could easily be substituted to create a vegan product. Finally, a blend of supportive CO2 extracts and essential oils finish the recipe off. Rose, frankincense, and chamomile work together to soothe the skin and encourage both emotional and physical wellness.
About the Ingredients
This natural wax is versatile in texture and color, available in white or yellow varieties. If you prefer to use a plant-based wax, try our Candelilla Wax instead. Candelilla is a bit harder than Beeswax so you will need to reduce it’s portion by about 10-20%.
The rich array of essential fatty acids contained within rose hip seed oil makes it perfect for supporting mature skin. It is highly moisturizing and nourishing. Rose Hip Seed Oil is often included in formulations meant to reduce the appearance of scars, wrinkles, and discoloration.
Squalene is a naturally occurring substance found in human sebum. It can also be sourced from animal and plant sources. Olive is the richest plant-based source of squalene, making it an ideal alternative to less more controversial sources such as shark liver. Olive Squalene is excellent for lubricating and hydrating the skin.
Fat-soluble Vitamin E is easily delivered to the skin and hair through our Vitamin E 400IU Oil. This potent ingredient can be used to encourage the growth of healthy hair and skin. It may also improve the appearance of damaged, mature, or scarred skin.
The soothing aroma of frankincense comes across beautifully in our exquisite Frankincense Select CO2 Extract. This resin-based aromatic is a classic ingredient within aromatherapy and perfumery. It can also be a beneficial ingredient for skin care and cosmetics, providing support for mature and damaged skin.
Rose ingredients have been used for ages to support healthy, beautiful skin. Our gorgeous Organic Rose Damascena Select CO2 Extract is a superb specimen of rose, providing a complex aroma and rich array of botanical benefit.
Roman Chamomile is famous for its use in calming formulations and is often used in applications meant to soothe both the skin and the spirit. The sweet, apple-like aroma of roman chamomile makes it a delightful addition to any formulation.
Rose Frankincense Scar Balm
Fills about two 1-ounce jars
- 30 grams Beeswax
- 30 ml Organic Virgin Rose Hip Seed Oil
- 15 ml Olive Squalene
- 10 ml Vitamin E 400IU Oil
- 1.25 ml Frankincense Select CO2 Extract
- 0.65 Organic Rose Damascena Select CO2 Extract
- 0.65 Roman Chamomile Essential Oil
- Place beeswax in double boiler and heat until fully melted.
- Add olive squalene and vitamin e oil and heat until melted again.
- Remove from heat and let stand 2 minutes.
- Add rose hip seed oil, co2 extracts, and essential oil. Mix well.
- Transfer melted mixture to glass jars and let cool until fully hardened before capping.
Usage & Packaging
- Rose Frankincense Scar Balm looks gorgeous in our 1-Ounce FlInt Glass Jars. This formula can also be packaged in tubes for easy application.
- To use, simply dab or rub a small amount of scar balm onto clean skin and massage until absorbed. Scar balm should be used on healed scars only. Avoid broken or unhealed skin.