Orange Cocoa Lip Butter: A luscious blend of pure chocolatey cocoa butter, almond, and flax seed oils, scented with a splash of sweet orange essential oil.
The sweet, juicy scent of citrus blends beautifully with the rich, chocolatey aroma of cocoa butter in this super moisturizing lip balm recipe. Orange Cocoa Lip Butter is a special treat for chocolate lovers, offering up a sophisticated and all natural twist on your basic cocoa butter lip balm.
Sweet almond oil and flax seed oils make this nourishing lip butter deeply conditioning. With a rich dose of omega and fatty acids, these skin-loving carrier oils are perfect or keeping lips feeling soft and happy all day long. Beeswax is used to harden the recipe, but also contributes to the butter’s adhesion and glossy texture. If you prefer to use a plant-based wax, try substituting 15 grams of candelilla wax in place of the beeswax in this recipe.
We added two layers of shimmering color to our Orange Cocoa Lip Balm recipe by including sun gold and amber mica. You can create a marbled effect between the two layers by inserting a toothpick along the side of the jar while the top layer is still hot. If you prefer an uncolored lip butter, simply omit both micas from the recipe and fill the entire jar in step three.
Our Orange Cocoa Lip Butter can be easily customized by substituting the sweet orange essential oil for another lip-safe aromatic ingredient. If you are looking for something unexpected, try lavender, rose, or cardamom. For a more traditional lip balm, go with peppermint essential oil or just leave the recipe unscented to let the natural scent of cocoa butter shine through.
Orange Cocoa Lip Butter
Makes about six 1-ounce jars
- 30 grams cocoa butter
- 30 grams flax seed oil
- 30 grams sweet almond oil
- 20 grams beeswax
- 2.5 ml organic sweet orange essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sun gold mica (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon amber mica (optional)
- Combine cocoa butter and beeswax in double boiler and heat on high until ingredients are fully melted.
- Remove boiler from heat and add flax and almond oils. Stir to combine.
- Allow mixture to cool for two minutes, then add sun gold mica and essential oil. Stir well until fully blended.
- Fill jars halfway with melted balm, then chill in refrigerator for two minutes. Meanwhile, return boiler to the hot water to keep balm melted.
- Add amber mica to remaining balm, then pour into jars, filling them the rest of the way.
- Allow balms to cool and harden completely before handling.
Usage & Packaging
- These colorful lip butters look wonderful in our 1 ounce flint glass jars. You can also package them in 1 ounce PET jars, 1/2 ounce paperboard jars, or in lip balm tubes.
- To use, apply liberally to dry lips as often as you like.
Shelf Life & Stability: Please note that the formulations featured here on The Natural Beauty Workshop have not been challenge tested for stability or shelf life, and may not be suitable for commercial use as-is. For more information on shelf life, stability, and working with preservatives, check out the following article from our Information Library.