Sweet Sandalwood Whipped Body Butter: A light and fluffy moisturizer made with aloe and calendula
There are a great many things to love about winter. Freshly fallen snow, hot cups of cocoa, and the winter holidays are just a few things that make this season special. As for me, I get excited when the temperature begins to drop because that means whipped body butter season is coming.
Delicate whipped butters have a tendency to melt or deflate during warm weather, so many formulators save this particular skin care treat for winter time. This time of year the temperatures are cool enough to ensure successful batches, easy shipping, and plenty of dry skin in need of heavy duty moisturizers.
You can make a whipped body butter with pretty much any natural vegetable butter. (Really, and here’s a video to show you how!) Shea butter is, of course, the classic main ingredient for this kind of recipe, but we’ve made countless batches with mango butter, murumuru, and many others.
Our Sweet Sandalwood Whipped Body Butter starts off with a blend of aloe vera butter and deodorized cocoa butter. This combination of light coconut-based aloe butter and rich, moisturizing cocoa butter provides the formula with a nice fluffy texture without being overly heavy or greasy.
We chose calendula, abysisinian, carrot seed oil, and vitamin e oil for their soothing benefits and to soften the whipped body butter’s texture a bit. For scent, we blended our heavenly royal Hawaiian sandalwood essential oil with juicy sweet orange and the musky aroma of jasmine and ylang ylang. You can easily customize this recipe by swapping the aromatics for any blend of essential oil or fragrance oil you prefer.
Sweet Sandalwood Whipped Body Butter
Makes about 24 ounces (by volume)
- 4 ounces aloe vera butter, room temperature
- 2 ounces deodorized cocoa butter
- 1.25 ounces calenedula oil
- 0.75 ounces abyssinian oil
- 0.5 ounces carrot seed oil
- 0.5 ounces vitamin E 400/IU oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon royal Hawaiian sandalwood essential oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet orange essential oil
- 1/8 teaspoon jasmine sambac CO2 extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ylang ylang essential oil
- Place aloe vera butter in bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Cream butter on low speed until soft and fluffy. This may take several minutes if the butter is cold.
- Melt cocoa butter in double boiler over medium heat. When melted, remove from heat and let stand for five minutes.
- Add remaining oils and aromatic ingredients to cocoa butter and mix well.
- Increase mixer speed to medium, and slowly drizzle in oil mixture. When the oils have incorporated, increase speed to high and beat until mixture becomes bright white and fluffy. (At least five minutes.)
- Whipped body butters look wonderful in our 8 Ounce Flat PET Jars.
- To use, slather liberally on dry skin and massage until absorbed.