Clarifying Hair Wash: A castile-based liquid soap with citrus essential oil and moisturizing shea.
Summer fun often includes plenty of sun, sand, and water. While all of that splishing and splashing is a blast, the residue from salt or chlorine can leave your hair feeling stiff and sticky. One way to refresh your tresses is to wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo. This easy hair wash simplifies that concept into three parts: soap, clarifying essential oils, and moisturizing shea.
The combination of sweet yuzu, cleansing tea tree, and refreshing spearmint give this clarifying hair wash an extra punch of power. It also smells great! Try adding a few drops of honey to give this recipe an additional moisturizing boost. Or, swap out yuzu for another favorite citrus oil. Just make sure that the essential oil you are using is not photo-toxic.
It’s best to follow this clarifying hair wash (or any castile-based hair wash) with a vinegar rinse. Check out our recipes for Herbal Hair Rinse or Rosemary Vinegar Rinse, or just add 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to 1 cup of water.
Clarifying Hair Wash
Makes about 8 ounces (240 ml)
- 7 ounces (210 ml) Liquid Castile Soap
- 1 ounce (30 ml) Shea Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) Yuzu Essential Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.65 ml) Spearmint Essential Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.65 ml) Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Combine kukui nut oil and essential oils in a small vessel and mix well until fully blended.
- Add liquid castile and oil blend to bottle and shake together.
Usage & Packaging
- We used our 8-ounce PET Bottle with a Disc Cap to package our batch of hair wash.
- To use, shake well, then apply to damp hair and massage into a lather. Rinse, and follow with a vinegar hair rinse and conditioner.
Shelf Life & Stability: Please note that the formulations featured here on The Natural Beauty Workshop have not been challenge tested for stability or shelf life, and may not be suitable for commercial use as-is. For more information on shelf life, stability, and working with preservatives, check out the following article from our Information Library.
Looking for more natural hair care inspiration? Check out our favorite natural hair care ingredients and our recipes for Argan Honey Hair Mask and Shea Mafura Hair Butter.