Whipped shea butter makes an excellent conditioner for both skin and hair. By whipping this moisturizing butter, you can create a quick and simple leave-in conditioner that nourishes and protects your scalp and tresses.
Add a little beeswax to the formula and you've got an all-natural pomade to use for styling and adding texture. You can play with the texture and hold of this pomade recipe by increasing or decreasing the amount of beeswax used.
We used two different blends of essential oils to show how you can easily customize this recipe in masculine, feminine, or unisex scents. If you prefer a more conventional or designer scent, check out our collection of Fragrance Oils.
Shea Mafura Whipped Hair Butter
Makes about 4 ounces (120 ml)
- 4 ounces (120 ml) Shea Butter
- 2 ounces (60 ml) Mafura Oil
- 2 ounces (60 ml) Ungurahui Oil
- 1 ounce (30 ml) Black Castor Oil
- 1 ounce (30 ml) Babassu Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) Neroli Essential Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Make sure to start off by bringing your butter to room temperature.
- Break the butter into chunks and place it in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Start the butter on medium speed and let it soften up for about five minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low, add the carrier oils and essential oils. Mix for about one minute to incorporate the other ingredients.
- Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and then bring the mixer up to high speed. Whip the butter for five to ten minutes, or until it becomes thicker, light in color, and very fluffy.
- Transfer the mixture to jars and let it set at room temperature for several hours or in the refrigerator for about thirty minutes.
Usage & Packaging
- Use a small dab of hair butter to condition ends and nourish curls.
- We packaged our hair butter in our new 4 Ounce Paperboard Jars. Be sure to check out our other paperboard products here: 0.3 oz. Brown Paperboard Push-Up Tube with Cap |1 oz. Brown Paperboard Push-Up Tube with Cap| 1/2 oz. Brown Paperboard Jar with Flush Fit Lid
Shea Mafura Pomade
makes about 4 ounces (120 g)
- 2 ounces (60 ml) Shea Butter
- 1 ounce (30 g) White Beeswax
- 1 ounce (30 ml) Mafura Oil
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) Black Castor Oil
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) Ungurahui Oil
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) Babassu Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.65 ml) Juniper Essential Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.65 ml) Spearmint Essential Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Warm butter and wax in double boiler until fully melted.
- Remove from heat, and add oils. Stir together.
- Add essential oils, stir gently to combine.
- Pour into jars and allow to cool until hardened (about 1 hour).
Usage & Packaging
- Use a small dab of pomade to style or texturize hair.
- We packaged our pomade in our new 4 Ounce Paperboard Jars. Be sure to check out our other paperboard products here: 0.3 oz. Brown Paperboard Push-Up Tube with Cap |1 oz. Brown Paperboard Push-Up Tube with Cap| 1/2 oz. Brown Paperboard Jar with Flush Fit Lid
This post was brought to you by From Nature With Love, offering a huge selection of top quality natural ingredients and supplies for skin care, hair care, soap making, and more!
Save 7% on your qualifying online order with discount code: NBW0617!