The soothing benefits of calendula and the cheerful scent of sweet orange come together in this buttery soft lip balm recipe. Our Organic Calendula Extract Oil is produced by gently macerating calendula in sunflower oil at low temperatures to extract the herb. This results in an all-natural oil bursting with calendula goodness! Calendula has long been treasured for its anti-inflammatory benefits and makes an excellent addition to moisturizing balms for lip and body care.
We used a blend of Organic Calenula Extract Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Brazil Nut Oil, Organic Golden Jojoba Oil, and Organic Beeswax to make the base for this lip balm. Left unscented, this soft and buttery lip balm yields a mild aroma that is a little bit nutty with a hint of chocolately sweetness. It's actually pretty wonderful on it's own, but the sweet aroma of Sweet Orange Essential Oil adds a sunny note to the mix that really is a lot of fun.
The blend of oils and butters in this recipe produced an exceptionally luscious lip balm base. This semi-soft, smooth and silky balm glides easily onto the lips and keeps them happily moisturized for quite a while. We opted to leave our lip balms in a natural color, but lip-safe Pearlescent Micas could easily be added to give these balms a lovely sheer tint. Be sure to check out our Mica Safety Chart to make sure the color you choose is safe for lip care.
Part of what gives this recipe its remarkable texture is the presence of Organic Brazil Nut Oil. Our Organic Brazil Nut Oil is rich in essential fatty acids, vitamin A (retinol) and selenium - an antioxidant trace mineral. This makes it a exceptionally moisturizing oil that is best known for its ability to soften and hydrate the skin. We love using Organic Brazil Nut Oil in body lotions, hair care products, and mature skin formulations. It's surprisingly light non-greasy texture and subtle characteristic aroma make it an extremely versatile and widely useful ingredient.
Sweet Orange & Calendula Lip Balm
Makes about 14 0.3-ounce tubes
- 28 grams Organic Natural Beeswax Pastilles
- 14 grams Organic Cocoa Butter
- 28 grams Organic Shea Butter
- 55 grams Organic Brazil Nut Oil
- 6 grams Organic Calendula Oil Extract
- 6 grams Organic Golden Jojoba Oil
- 1 grams (approx. 20 drops) Organic Sweet Orange Essential Oil
- Combine beeswax and butters in double boil and heat until melted.
- Remove from heat and add carrier oils.
- Add essential oil last, stir well, then carefully pour into tubes.
- Allow tubes to cool until completely hardened (at least 1 hour) then cap.
Usage & Packaging
- To use, simply apply to dry lips as often as needed.
- We packaged our lip tints in our new 0.3 oz. Brown Paperboard Push-Up Tube with Cap. Be sure to check out our other paperboard products here: 0.3 oz. Brown Paperboard Push-Up Tube with Cap | 1/2 oz. Brown Paperboard Jar with Flush Fit Lid | 4 oz. Brown Paperboard Jar with Flush Fit Lid
This post was brought to you by From Nature With Love, offering a huge selection of top quality natural ingredients and supplies for skin care, hair care, soap making, and more!
Save 7% on your qualifying online order with discount code: NBW0617!