If you ask me, perspiration gets a pretty bad rap, and unfairly so. Though society may deem it uncouth, your body needs to sweat. Sweating helps regulate your body temperature and expel toxins. It was built to work this way, yet we often go to great lengths to disguise, or even avoid this totally natural function.
Wouldn't it be nice to smell lovely while allowing your body to do what comes naturally? That's where natural deodorant comes in. Unlike commercial anti-perspirants, homemade deodorant won't inhibit your body from sweating. It simply helps you smell better as you do it. Commercial deodorants often contain questionable ingredients like aluminum, which some believe could be linked to cancer and alzheimers.
This natural deodorant recipe uses a simple formula of Vegetable Butter, Vegetable Oil, Baking Soda, and Arrowroot Powder. I've included ingredients that contain natural benefits to help boost the deodorant's potency. Murumuru Butter has anti-bacterial properties that can help fight odor-causing microbes. Organic Virgin Coconut Cream Oil is anti-fungal, helping the skin of your underarms stay fresh and healthy.
The Essential Oil blends chosen for this recipe were chosen to provide pleasant scents while beefing up the benefits even further. If you'd like a more traditional scent for your handmade deodorant, check out our line of Plant-Based Fragrance Oils. Our Plant-Based Fragrance Oils can be added to this recipe at a rate of 1 - 2% per batch. For more ideas on scenting your deodorant naturally, check out our other post, Essential Oil Blends for Natural Deodorants.
DIY Cream Deodorant
Makes about 4 ounces (120 ml)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Murumuru Butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Karanja Seed Oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Buriti Seed Oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Beeswax
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Baking Soda
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Arrowroot Powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Bentonite Clay
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.75 ml) Lavender Essential Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.75 ml) Spearmint Essential Oil
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.75 ml) Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Combine murumuru butter, coconut oil, and beeswax in double boiler and heat until melted.
- Whisk karanja and buriti seed oils with arrowroot powder and bentonite clay to form slurry.
- Add slurry to melted mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat and whisk in essential oils.
- Pour into jar and allow to cool until hardened.
Usage & Packaging
- This deodorant looks gorgeous in our 4 Ounce Paperboard Jar. It can also be packaged in a plastic container.
- To use, rub a small dab of balm onto the underarm area and massage until absorbed by skin.
This post was brought to you by From Nature With Love, offering a huge selection of top quality natural ingredients and supplies for skin care, hair care, soap making, and more!
Save 7% on your qualifying online order with discount code: NBW1217!