To someone who has never made a batch, making a luscious, creamy whipped body butter might seem a bit intimidating. All of that melting, whipping, and dipping in ice baths does seem like an awful lot of work. Did you know that there is another way? This quick, simple method is not much different from making buttercream frosting. In fact, the resulting body butter will appear so light and fluffy that you just may find yourself tempted to take a bite!
You'll need an electric stand mixer to pull this off with ease. An electric hand mixer may also work, but it will involve you holding steady for several minutes at a time - a tiring endeavor! I'm just kidding, of course. Either type of mixer will yield a beautiful butter in a matter of minutes, something that I find positively magical.
The real beauty of this formula is its versatility. You can use almost any combination of Carrier Oils to make up that portion of the recipe. Go with something classic, like Sunflower or Sweet Almond Oil, or incorporate a more precious or exotic ingredient like Sacha Inchi or Passion Fruit Oil. Further customization is possible by choosing your own skin-safe Essential Oil (Some of our favorites are Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, and Rose Geranium) or Plant-Based Fragrance Oil. (Try Apricot, Wild Rose, or Honey Creme.)
You also have the option of including a powder to enhance the texture of the butter. Starches, like Arrowroot Powder or Corn Starch can reduce greasiness while Silk Peptide Powder adds just what you might expect - a smooth, silky slip!
15 Minute Whipped Body Butter
Makes about six ounces (by weight and volume)
- 4 ounces (120 ml) medium-hard Butter such as Shea, Mango, or Cupuacu
- 2 ounces (60 ml) light and moisturizing Carrier Oil, such as Apricot Kernel, Brazil Nut, or Watermelon Seed
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon (1.25 - 2.5 ml) Essential Oil or Plant-Based Fragrance Oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Arrowroot Powder, Corn Starch, or Silk Peptide Powder (optional)
- Make sure to start off by bringing your Butter to room temperature.
- Break the Butter into chunks and place it in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Start the butter on medium speed and let it soften up for about five minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low, add the Carrier Oils, Essential Oil, and powdered ingredient, if using. Mix for about one minute to incorporate the other ingredients.
- Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and then bring the mixer up to high speed. Whip the butter for five to ten minutes, or until it becomes thicker, light in color, and very fluffy.
- Transfer the mixture to jars and let it set at room temperature for several hours or in the refrigerator for about thirty minutes.
Usage & Packaging
Whipped Body Butters look wonderful in crystal clear packaging like our plastic PET Jars and glass Flint Jars. These delicate butters have a tendency to melt or flop during warm weather so they are best enjoyed during cooler months or stored in the refrigerator during the Summer. Please keep the limitations of whipped butter in mind if you plan on shipping the finished product.
To use, apply the butter liberally to dry skin on your hands, feet, arms, legs, and torso. These butters can be used on the face but be sure to use ingredients that are extra light and non-greasy.
This post was brought to you by From Nature With Love, offering a huge selection of top quality natural ingredients and supplies for skin care, hair care, soap making, and more!
Save 7% on your qualifying online order with discount code: NBW0617!