If you ask me, slathering a dollop of whipped Shea Butter onto dry skin is one of life's great pleasures. This is especially true during the long cold months of Winter when dry air seems to constantly draw moisture out of our skin. Shea Butter is just the thing to replenish and protect parched skin, and the natural anti-inflamatory benefits of Tamanu Oil are excellent for soothing any itchiness or redness that may have resulted from prolonged dryness.
This recipe includes a pinch of Beeswax to help keep the butter stiff despite the heavy dose of Tamanu Oil. Arrowroot Powder and Silk Powder contribute to a smoother, less greasy slip. I scented my batch with a Wintery mixture of Rose, Vanilla, and Sandalwood, but this recipe would smell very nice if left unscented. You could also try using one of our new Plant-Based Fragrance Oils.
Whipped Tamanu & Shea Butter
Makes about nine ounces, by volume
- 3 ounces Tamanu Oil
- 2 1/2 ounces Shea Butter
- 1/2 ounce Beeswax
- 1 teaspoon Arrowroot Powder
- 1 teaspoon Silk Powder, Superfine
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essential Oil (or Oleoresin or Fragrance Oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon Rose Essential Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Sandlwood Essential Oil
- Heat the Shea Butter in a double boiler over medium heat until it has melted completely. Set the burner to low, then allow the Shea Butter to remain over the heat for twenty minutes.
- Add the Beeswax, and let it melt completely. Remove the mixture from the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl or container whisk the Arrowroot and Silk Powder with the Tamanu Oil.
- Add the Tamanu mixture to the Shea Mixture, followed by the Essential Oils.
- Whisk the mixture continuously as it cools and thickens. To speed the process, try placing ice water into the lower half of your double boiler and using an electric hand mixer to whisk.
- When the butter has thickened to the consistency of buttercream frosting it can be either spooned or piped into jars. Let the butter cool and set completely before use. About thirty minutes in a refrigerator will do the trick.
Usage & Packaging
To use, simply apply generously to your hands, feet, arms, legs and torso. The butter will sit on your skin for a little while before being absorbed.
This post was brought to you by From Nature With Love, offering a huge selection of top quality natural ingredients and supplies for skin care, hair care, soap making, and more!
Save 7% on your qualifying online order with discount code: NBW1217!